Frisbeegolf-forum.fi

Author Topic: Viikon vieras #76 - Kingsley Flett AUS  (Read 21521 times)

Offline Tapanote

• Ylläpitäjä
  • Ylläpitäjä
  • Konkari
    • View Profile
  • Oikea nimi: Tapani Aulu
  • Seura: Tomoottajat, Kankaanpää / 7k, Turku
Viikon vieras #76 - Kingsley Flett AUS
« on: 02.07.15 - klo:18:59 »
Tomas invites a mate of his from down under. Please welcome Kingsley Flett from Australia

1. When did you start playing DG? Tell us something about your DG history.
2. What is it that appeals to you in DG - why do you play?
3. Do you have goals in DG?
4. What is your biggest accomplishment in DG in your own opinion?
5. Have you gotten aces?
6. Tell us about your home course.
7. What is your favorite disc?
8. What about favorite course?
9. Tomahawk or some other throw?

Offline HAH

• Konkari
    • View Profile
  • Oikea nimi: Harri H.
  • Seura: 7k
Vs: Viikon vieras #76 - Kingsley Flett AUS
« Reply #1 on: 03.07.15 - klo:00:27 »
Kingsley! Whatta? :D

Good memories from Two heads 2014 (Tasmania)!

How is it going? DG growing at your area? Any visible growth in Australia? New good courses? Have you played outside Australia?

Greetings to all friends at Perth.

Harri   Heikkanen #57279

Offline Kingsley Flett

• Tulokas
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16.07.15 - klo:15:03 »
G'day everyone. Thanks for having me on as a guest. Hey Tomas, Hey Harri - how's it hanging boys? :)

Ok so to the questions

1. When did you start playing DG? Tell us something about your DG history.

I first picked up a frisbee in 1980, when I was 15 and always mucked around with them. I've always taken a frisbee travelling with me - usually a beat-up old ultrastar or freestyle disc. I even took one with me when I spent a month in the desert of Central Australia in 2006.

After a varied sporting career - playing Aussie Rules Football professionally in my late teens and early 20's, then switching to Triathlon (I went to the 1987 world short course championships), then followed two decades of getting very out of shape and overweight. One day I was thinking about getting back into some sort of 'training' but the years of hard grind had burned me out on anything too strenous. So I was looking for something gentle and low-impact to do. That's when I thought of disc golf (I had seen the sport travelling in the USA in 1986). I googled 'disc golf' for my local town and that weekend I was playing...pretty badly.

But I got the bug and here I am 6 years later. A full blown disc golfing freak.

2. What is it that appeals to you in DG - why do you play?

I like the simple beauty of the throwing motion. It still feels like a few cool dance steps to me. Like all disc golfers I love watching the disc fly. I love the mental training and lessons for life that are encapsulated in a round of disc golf - it can be like a gnostic school if you let it. Plus the fun of walking and talking with a bunch of mates.

3. Do you have goals in DG?

Yes - I'd like to make a final in the grandmasters at the AM worlds in 2016. I'll be 51 then so still a young guy in the division. I made the semi's in the masters in Charlotte in 2012 as a 47 year old so I figure it's not-too unrealistic goal.

4. What is your biggest accomplishment in DG in your own opinion?

When I started locally and saw the open final four play in front of a gallery I thought 'I'd like to do that one day'. Those guys just seemed like the coolest kids in school and rock stars all rolled into one. So it felt great to finally make my first open final (I usually play pro-open in Oz) a few years back. Otherwise - I dunno. Winning an Auusie A tier (PDGA C-Tier) last year was pretty cool.

5. Have you gotten aces?

Hah - don't talk to me about aces. Nearly 6 years of playing. Maybe thousands of hours of practice. Hundreds of competition rounds on 68 courses all over the world. Not one ace, ever, never. Not even in one of those stupid ace-race tournaments where the basket is about 30m away.

Still - I think aces are for lazy disc golfers who can't be bothered making extra throws.

6. Tell us about your home course.

The Rob Hancock memorial Disc Golf Course was established in Cockman park, about 20minutes drive north of Perth City, in 1989. It was named after Rob Hancock, a man who had devoted much of his life to the growth of frisbee sports in Australia before tragically accidentally dying on 1987. We hold a tournament there each year in his honor.

It's a nine hole - mostly par 3 course that is still pretty technical and challenging. It's held up well over 26 years. The course began it's life in an outer suburban park but of course with the expansion of the city is now quite a busy inner-suburban park. The most distinct part of the foliage of the park is the grass trees or Xanthorrhoea (the local aboriginal name for them is Balga). Their spines can be quite sharp so we take a one meter relief off these when playing.

7. What is your favorite disc?
Don't really have an outright favourite. I like Buzzes, Star Eagles and Yeti Aviars.

8. What about favorite course?

That's still Poimena in Tasmania for me.

A very hilly, tough course on a small mountain with a river winding around it on three sides. In one of the worlds last great natural environments - Tasmania. Play there before you die. I insist.

My other favorite would have to be our local (privately owned) course called 'Pine Lines'. It's where we hold the Perth Open each year and it is a great combination of tight lines, elevation, and varying terrain. A really beautiful course.

9. Tomahawk or some other throw?

Over the shoulder backhand flex-shot with a drone or my most stable driver. Tomahawk's kill my 50 year old shoulders.

Offline Kingsley Flett

• Tulokas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16.07.15 - klo:15:23 »
Kingsley! Whatta? :D

Good memories from Two heads 2014 (Tasmania)!

How is it going? DG growing at your area? Any visible growth in Australia? New good courses? Have you played outside Australia?

Greetings to all friends at Perth.

Harri   Heikkanen #57279

Hey Harri. Yeah Two-heads is definitely one tournament I try to get to each year. I think over years as more and more disc golfers travel the world looking for places to play  - The Two Heads will become like Maple Hill or Vibram - it'll sell out very quickly.

I think the sport in Oz is just starting to lift off. There's been several new courses going in each year. I'm not sure what number we are up to -I'll check on that and come back to you. But a great new course just went in at Pine Rivers, North of Brisbane in Queensland; and of course we have a new course in Mundaring - on the site of an existing golf course in Western Australia. It's where they held the Aussie-open major last year.

It's a long par 65 in the championship layout.

[/quote]

Offline Kingsley Flett

• Tulokas
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16.07.15 - klo:15:38 »
If anyone wants to check out what's happening in Disc Golf in Perth - one of the most isolated outposts for the sport in the world. Just check out the Perth Disc Golf page on facebook. As to join - disc golfers from around the world are always welcome. We try to keep a good quality feed of video and pictures on there.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/267648276623829/

Offline Lypsyjakkara

• Täysjäsen
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22.07.15 - klo:14:46 »
Nice to have you here, a guy from down under 8) I had to join to that group!
D1 D2 D3 X1 | H1 H2 | F1 F2 F3 | M1 M2 M4 | Pa1 Pa3

Offline HAH

• Konkari
    • View Profile
  • Oikea nimi: Harri H.
  • Seura: 7k
« Reply #6 on: 09.08.15 - klo:08:34 »
Great to hear all that. Best Wishes.